I remember loving science in elementary school, the science projects throughout the year made me excited to go to class. My earliest memory was learning about plants and the entire class received a cup, dirt, and seeds. We all planted our seeds and checked up on them everyday then report about it in our science journals. I thought it was so incredible learning about the process of photosynthesis then being able to actually watch my plant grow. The following year, I remember my teacher created a butterfly habitat where we watched 5 caterpillars turn into butterflies. This was so exciting to me to be able to watch these caterpillars morph into beautiful butterflies throughout the weeks. Everyone in the class would write observations on the metamorphosis process and share their thoughts with a group. Once the butterflies were ready to be released, the class went outside and watched the butterflies fly away. This is a memory that I will always have and something I would like to do with my future class. Later on in middle school, I remember making homemade ice cream in chemistry class. This was so much fun because I was learning about chemistry, which could be a hard topic, while doing something really fun. Throughout high school, we mostly did group projects, that’s something I really enjoyed doing. One memory from high school that has stuck with me is making tie-dye shirts in my chemistry class. I thought this was a great experiment because it was something that was engaging and I created a tie-dye shirt that I was able to keep! Throughout my entire school career I loved science, maybe it was the fun experiments and projects I participated in, or my great teachers, but I’m grateful for all of my experiences.
I loved science and I wanted to pursue a career in this field. I came to Mount Saint Mary College as a bio major and was really excited about my classes. Throughout the semester I started to change my mind about a career in science, and found teaching to be a better fit to me. I am eager to teach science to my future students because my teachers and great experiences during elementary school shaped my love for science. When I teach my future students I want to take away the stereotype that only men are scientist. Women are scientist too! I would like to introduce the book Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World by Rachel Ignotofsky, this book is amazing to show students because women are usually overshadowed in this field but they have made incredible advances in the world. I want everyone in my classroom to find a love for science and not lose it. Science is the knowledge and study of the natural world based on facts that have been learned through experiments and observations. I'm not sure if my point of view of science will change throughout the years. I find it to be fascinating and the best way to learn about this subject is through engaging activities. Some concepts in science could be quite difficult to fully understand, therefore, it is important to make lessons hands on and interactive. 

No comments:
Post a Comment