The second day my group and I taught to the fourth grade class, we prepared an inquiry lesson plan. During this lesson we wanted the students to solve a problem with the help from their classmates. We told the students that our friend Mr. Alien came to earth and had never seen a plant before. Mr. Alien was so confused by the plant and wanted the fourth graders to explain to him what makes up a plant. Before the students began the activity, we went over the inquiry process with the students. Reflecting back on my teaching now, I would have liked to give the students a visual representation of what is expected of them when working in a group. The students had to tell Mr. Alien all of the cell organelles that made up a plant. We thought the students would enjoy making their own plant cell diagram. The classroom was set up with different stations that had riddles for the students to answer and pieces of the plant cell. The alien only spoke in riddles, therefore each organelle was described through a riddle and the students had to figure out which organelle was being talked about. Once the students figured out what organelle matched the riddle they were given a cut out of the organelle and was asked to glue it to their paper. We tried to keep the class under control by having the teachers move from table to table with the different riddles and plant organelles. I learned a lot through this experience. It was difficult trying to not help the students with their ideas but just letting them talk to each other and discuss. I thought the students enjoyed this activity because they all wanted to figure out the riddles. After all the students were done with their riddles and gluing the plant organelles to their papers, we asked them to write a letter to Mr. Alien about what he needs to know about plants. If I could go back I would definitely want to be more organized, but I thought my group and I did a good job being the first group.


No comments:
Post a Comment